[access-uk] Re: re building a Web Site

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 21:49:32 +0100

Word isn't just a converter. Like OpenOffice.org Writer, it has a
webpage view and code view to go alongside the normal and page preview
views used when authoring print documents. But of course, the mere
presence of such views doesn't make Word a good tool for the job.

But I'd probably give the honour of being the worst tool to Apple's
iWeb, where the authoring tool has no concept of headings and the output
apparently consists of styled div and span elements. I suspect Word's
particularly bad reputation comes from that fact that web professionals
often find themselves having to clean up the horrendous web markup
generated with Word - a task so common and so onerous that the HTML Tidy
tool has to have special options to deal with it.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis