[access-uk] problem connecting to wireless router

  • From: "Yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:16:34 +0100

Hi all, This is becoming my regular call for help. My desktop is connected to a net gear ADSL modem/router using a wireless USB stick. Up until yesterday morning it was working fine. Since then I have been unable to get internet access on the desktop. I am told that the network has not assigned a network address to the desktop and I should contact the network administrator. (not one of window's most helpful pieces of advice).

I have tried to repair the connection and it gets as far as assigning an IP address where it stops. According to the repair wizard this is where the error is.

I'm definitely connected to my network because I am told that the computer is connected to the YusufOsman network at 54MBPS and that the signal is good, but that I have limited network connectivity.

The only thing that I noticed which might have a baring is that when I turned on the desktop yesterday morning the wireless stick tried to connect to a WIFI hotspot rather than my own network.

Finally, it might help someone diagnose my problem if I mentioned that my laptop connects just fine to the wireless router and I have tried moving the router around and turning everything off including the router to reset it. Also, that my network is set so that only computers with Mak addresses that I have specifically allowed can connect, only computers that already know my SSID can connect and it is also encripted.

Any ideas?
Yusuf