[access-uk] Re: possibly OT, calling all guide dog owner parents

  • From: "Sandra Heaton" <sandra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 23:24:20 +0100

Hi Brian,

I did use a pushchair when my children were little but I am talking about 20
odd years ago.  But it worked for me.  I had a pushchair that I had revamped if
you like, It was a pushchair that  had swivelly wheels, what I had done was had
the front wheels put on the back and the back wheels on the front.  Have you
ever tried to pull a push chair?  Well doing it this way, I was able to work my
guide dog and pull the pushchair behind me.  I did make sure that the child was
safely strapped in though so I could tip it slightly when going up and down
kerbs.  I guess these days though you wouldn't have to worry because nearly all
kerbs are these silly drop down kerbs aren't they.  I guess also if you wanted
to make yourself feel  secure, you could always attach some kind of belt around
your waist with part of it attached to the pram or buggy and just pull it like
that.  It worked for me and I was able to get out.  I didn't[to travel on buses
though.

It maybe worth your while having a word with guide dogs.

that is how I used to do it anyway, if you want further assistance or you would
like to discuss it further I would be very happy to answer any questions you
may have.  feel free to write me off list if you like.

sandra

Sandra