[access-uk] Re: plus net

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:11:15 +0100

Yes, I'm afraid outages or some sort of disconnection formula does seem to be
in operation some of the time.  I hadn't thought of Steve's solution of your
email program periodically downloading emails, but as it happens, that is what
I do and have very few outages.

The most serious outage I have had, a couple of months ago or so, was for
three-four hours, but Plus Net did apologise for that one.

For the record, I now pay £25.00 per month which is, or was, supposed to be for
a 2MBs service.  I often find though that download speeds indicate that my
connection speed is very often twice this amount.  Its hard to get at the facts
but it may be the more you pay each month, the lower the contention ratio and
the less get subject to rationing of this sort, or so I speculate.

I'm a fairly heavy user.  I listen to a good deal of 'Listen Again' and the
computer is always on for emailing etc.

It will be interesting to hear of other experiences, but this only confirms,
for me at least, that driving down prices below a certain level is only going
to lead to rationing, be it cut-offs, capping or whatever.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx