[access-uk] Re: pda's of the shelf.

  • From: "Jim Denton" <jimdenton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 18:51:12 +0100

Hi Amro, thanks for this, I think I will sign up for the news letter as
well.

I think the interesting thing is, that you are the only one on list who has
replied on this subject. It makes me think that not too many people have
gone down this route.

Regards Jim Denton

top tech tidbits for Thursday, May 10, 2007

I know, it isn't thursday anywhere now.  A half-hour evening
commitment became a three-hour one, and I decided everybody could
survive a slight calendar change this week.
1.  the May, 2007 issue of Braille Monitor contains an article
entitled Accessible Personal Data Assistance Reviews and contains
reviews of five PDA's.
http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm07/bm0705/bm070508.htm

2.  this week, we benefit from the efforts of several competent
volunteers.  To start, as part of Blind Access Journal, Darrell
Shandrow and wife Karen created a podcast and demonstrated the
capabilities of RIM, the product from Serotek that allows blind users
to carry out remote technical support with speech output
http://www.shandrow.com/audio/podcast/serotek_rim_demo_1.mp3

3)  David Bailes continues to write free VIP Accessibility
Guides.  His latest contribution is a guide to windows Media Player
11 for JAWS users, though its usefulness is not limited to users of
JAWS.  this 8,000-word guide can be had here
http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Windows-Media-Player-11-Guide.html
and you can visit the software guides page here:
http://vip.chowo.co.uk/

4)  Jamal Mazrui continues to update several of his projects:
FileDir, TextPal, and the Homer Library.  Download links to all these
have been given before, and are unchanged.  If you have FireDir or
TextPal, you can "elevate" to the latest version by hitting
F11.  Links to Jamal's projects and documentation compilations, as
well as a lot of other useful information, much of it but not all
oriented to programmers, can be found at
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com/

5)  Moving out of the volunteer arena, but not totally, the Gw Micro
blog has a very useful article concerning the inaccessibility of the
new version of Hotmail, now known as windows Live Hotmail, as well as
suggestions for using the new version with window-Eyes.
http://gwmicro.com/blog/index.php/all/2007/05/09/title_1

6)  Gw Micro remains the only company I know that provides a
reasonable way for a user to buy a full-featured screen reader.  they
have replaced their lease-to-own program with two payment plans.  the
long-term option allows a user to pay $41 down plus shipping and $39
per month for 31 months.
http://www.gwmicro.com/paymentplan.

7)  Gw Micro has added an article to its Knowledge Base:
Understanding Window-Eyes Video Support
http://gwmicro.com/Support/Knowledge_Base/?kbnumber=GWKB1073

8)  the May, 2007 issue of AccessWorld is now online.  It includes
reviews of CCTV's, discussions of accessible household appliances, a
summary of the CSUN conference, and more.
http://www.afb.org/accessworld

9)  A paper on the history of speech synthesis, with some audio
examples, is found here:
http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/eecs225d/klatt.html

10)  Useful Information for Navigating and Bidding on eBay will be
the topic for the Accessible World training to take place on GMT
Tuesday, 15 May at 00:00.
http://www.accessibleworld.org

11)  Here is the link to the Google Accessibility presentation at
CSUN long with the documentation they provided at the conference.
http://easi.cc/podcasts/conference/conference.htm

12)  It is still possible, since Internet radio has not yet been
curtailed, to listen to over 100 free music channels on AOL Radio by
simply providing your screen name and password.  The accessibility
difficulties with the listening process can be overcome somewhat.
http://www.aol.com

An individually-mailed text version of Tidbits is available to those
who want it or have difficulty receiving the usual html
version.  Write to me to request it.
Visit the Tidbits page at
www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm
where
you can subscribe to the rss feed and grab back issues.  All that
welcome information for future issues can come to me at
dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's the news for this week.

Feel fre to forward intact copies of this newsletter, so others can
subscribe.  To subscribe, send a blank message to
tttt-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and reply to the confirmatory message. Aspiring subscribers can also go to
http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/listinfo/tttt_topdotenterprises.com

To leave the list, send a blank message to
tttt-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and reply to the confirmatory message.

If you have a news item, handy web page or piece of software you want to
recommend,  concerning adaptive technology, technology as it relates to the
blind,
or Internet audio, send it to me for inclusion next time.

List archives are available to members at
http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/private/tttt_topdotenterprises.com/

Inclusion of information in tttt does not imply any endorsement of products
or services mentioned, or even that the content of the announcement is
accurate.
 (Often, I do not verify the accuracy of the announcements.)  Having said
this, most are accurate and useful.

TTTT is a free service of Top Dot Enterprises, Copyright (c) 2004, 2005, Top
Dot Enterprises.

Dean Martineau
Top Dot Enterprises
2219 Rucker Ave #204