[access-uk] Re: out of curiosity: software protection/encryption?

  • From: Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:22:25 +0000

Ari,
while the dingle is in principle a more secure way of protecting
software there are two very distinct disadvantages.
1) unless there is an alternative verification system in place if you
lose your dongle( or it gets stolen) your basically snookered
2) some dongles have to remain in the usb slot during the complete
session in order to avoid interrupting the software,  that leaves one
usb port unusable if you have  limited ports  ( if you need more then
two ports for other devices and don't have them, then in that instance
the dongle is a no go solution)
ATB
Shaun

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/when-time-comes-we-need-be-ready-fight-tpps-secret-anti-user-agenda