[access-uk] Re: opinions wanted

  • From: "Iain Lackie" <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:46:35 +0100

In this case, surely the equality act is irrelevant. The instructions were there to be downloaded. The salesperson could easily have seen the statement within them about alternative formats. If there is an issue here, it is surely one of staff training.

Iain
-----Original Message----- From: Clive Lever
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 1:43 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: opinions wanted

The Equality Act wouldn't agree with the idea that a customer is entitled to
information in accessible format in some circumstances and not other, except
if it would be unreasonable to produce it, say, on grounds of high cost,
which is surely not the case here. It says that a service provider needs to
take account of a disabled person's disability. So if your impairment meands
that you can't afford a computer and need an audio version, or that you are
deafblind and need braille, it would not be enough for a provider to say:
"we've taken the needs of blind people into account fully by giving you MS
word or nothing". The customer would be correct in saying: "but you haven't
fully considered my access requirements". You can sort of understand it if
the product is being made or sold by a one-person business down the road,
but the people who should be leading the field may be a different matter.

Would there have been a good reason why an MS word version wouldn't have
suited your needs? If there wouldn't, you could have asked for it as a
second choice.  If there was a good reason for not asking they could have
and should have been more flexible imho.

Best,
Clive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>