[access-uk] Re: online fraud

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:44:35 -0000

Alex

When you are shopping on a particular site and you go to checkout, you will
normally be prompted that you are about to enter a secure site, and that
nobody else will be able to see what you are doing.  Press the ok button at
this point to go to checkout.

Then either press alt A to read the address bar or alt D to actually go to
the address bar so that you can cursor along the address.  Normally the
address begins with HTTP, but on secure sites with the padlock showing the
address will begin HTTPS, the S presumably standing for secure.

When you have finished paying for your order and it has been confirmed, you
will probably log out of the site, and will then be prompted that you are
entering a non-secure site where others may be able to see what you are
doing.  Press OK at this point, and the address bar will then begin HTTP.

I hope that helps.  I certainly have never had any problems shopping online,
and I have quite a lot of expenditure under my belt.  The only thing to
avoid at all costs is responding to any spam e-mails you receive and buying
anything from them.  If nobody ever did this we would stop getting spam, as
it would not be worthwhile sending it out, but there are some gullible
people who will try anything.  Security cannot be guaranteed when responding
to spam.

Wendy