[access-uk] Re: olympus DM550

  • From: "Clive Pallett" <clive.pallett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 22:35:40 +0100

Hello John,

I have this model and there is voice guidance on most functions, except those like time and date, timer recording and system information. On the good side the stereo microphones are built into the unit and the socket for an external microphone is on the top edge. Also, there is a card slot for inserting micro SD HC cards up to 16GB, perfect for long recordings or for storing books and music.

One thing to be aware of: the microphones are very sensitive to wind noise and easily distort when working close to them. It is also advisable to select manual recording level so you can quickly adjust the recording level depending what you are recording. The unit comes with rechargeable batteries but I've found alkaline ones last a long time before needing to be replaced.

If you need more functionality and accessibility then why not wait for the new DM2 and DM4 recorders due out soon, the latter will have DAISY support and text-to-speech for reading text files and other accessible features.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

07:26:00