[access-uk] Re: nokia n70 and premium apps

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:56:59 +0100

Yes, but I should stress a few points:
1    It is not necessary to update unless you are experiencing a specific
problem that updated firmware may address.  I have experienced problems with
some third party software on an N70 which doesn't run correctly precisely
because of advances in firmware have rended them slightly incompatible.
2    If your phone is less than a year old and you are not comfortable updating
yourself a dealer should be able to do it for you, possibly FOC under
warrantee.
3    If you do try self service upgrade make sure you have all the bits you
need, and also make sure the phone is running off the mains, you do not want it
to run out of power whilst it is updating, I forgot to mention this rather
important point before.

Personally as a rule I would steer users both sighted and visually impaired
from this task, it takes methodical and observant person to conduct updates
without undue stress or risk to the firmware although it is not impossible to
achieve safely.

The original enquirer I think certainly fitted into that category and may
already have the most up to date firmware.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support