[access-uk]

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:14:21 -0000

Just to say that if the only reason you're adding audio is because jaws
pronounces barkshire as burkshire, then I'd suggest that screenreader users are
really very aware of this issue and will probably not even notice. It does
sound like you're putting in a lot of effort to tackle a really tiny issue. And
I direct you again that it's not just about the listening experience, its not
radio, it's a navigation experience that talks.

When I hear horse racing fans on American TV saying they're off to the Durby, I
don't get completely confused, I figure they mean Darby.

Just trying to save you a bit of work. Self voiced sites are great but I'd have
thought that richer flash games or experiences are things that would benefit
mostly from voicing. I figure that if someone has managed to tap in the URL and
get to the talking newspaper site then they don't need the extra audio. Not in
this example. I'd be really interested to hear alternative points of view on
this based on user experience though. Anyone?

There are probably half a million mashups I could think of. Would love to hear
what you're up to off list if you don't want to talk about it openly just yet.

...Damon