[access-uk] new smart phone and service for the blind

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:28:29 +0100

Greetings,

I am passing on this post seen on the Best-circle-of-Friends, it is
specifically related to developments in the States, I wonder if it is of any
use over here and, though I have not seen any posts to this group, wonder if
anybody knows more about this than is in the post?

I am pasting in as received.

From: "Tuvix" <tuvix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:56:17 -0400

hi, got this from a list i am on
all i know about it
is just what the below info says

I came across the following article on another list. Sounds like this could
give the IPhone a run for the money:

America's First Mobile Smartphone & Service for The Blind and Visually
Impaired.

    PRNewswire.
June 5, 2013.

Project RAY Ltd., developer of the first smartphone specially designed for
eye-free operation, and Odin Mobile, the nationwide provider of cellular
service dedicated to providing mobile communication services to the blind
and visually impaired, today announced America's first full mobile service
for the blind and visually impaired.

"This collaboration will provide the blind the ability to access smartphone
technology through a unique user interface that emphasizes simplicity and
ease of use," said Robert Felgar , general manager of Odin Mobile.  "Odin
Mobile is excited to partner with Project RAY to make advanced mobile
technology more accessible to the blind."

Features of America's first full mobile service include:

. Odin Mobile's full telephone service including voice, text and data, with
customized eye-free setup and services.

. Affordable smartphone developed by Project RAY specially for the blind,
from its unique operating system & eye-free operation to specialized
built-in apps and content.

. Multiple built-in services for the blind and visually impaired within a
single affordable device and one unified user experience - including voice
calls, email, messaging contact list services, calendar, GPS, advanced WEB
remote assistance, voice recorder, panic and emergency services, color
identification, pictures transcription, banknote recognition, and more.

. Advanced communication and lifestyle services such as book and magazine
subscriptions built into the off-the-shelf device.

. Unique operating system and user interface specially developed for
eye-free operation including single gesture access to frequently used
numbers and functions, one-hand operation, homogeneous interface across
multiple system functions and services.

"Together with Odin Mobile, and with the initial and invaluable support of
Qualcomm's Wireless Reach program, we are excited to bring the affordable,
lifestyle changing benefits of smartphone technology and services to
millions of blind and visually impaired people throughout the United
States," said Boaz Zilberman , Founder & CEO of Project RAY. "Our RAY
smartphone combined with Odin Mobile's full-cellular services for the blind
and visually impaired, will finally bring to this important community the
same services available to the mainstream full-sighted community."

Project RAY and Qualcomm Wireless Reach collaborated on the first trial and
commercial launch of the RAY device in Israel in early 2013.  As one of the
project's primary funders, Qualcomm provided technical advice, support,
funding and in-kind contributions in support of the development of a device
that successfully promotes independence and social inclusion for people with
disabilities.

"We are proud to work with Project RAY and support their objective of
bringing a mobile device to market that supports blind and visually impaired
people so they can access resources and information independently," said
Kristin Atkins , Senior Director of Government Affairs for Qualcomm. "Our
team at Qualcomm Israel worked closely with Project RAY on the operational
and product efforts of the first RAY device enabling independence and a
richer social life for users by providing an all-in-one, independent-living
companion capable of eye-free input, text-to-speech, access to content,
navigation, label recognition, augmented reality and integration with social
networks. This is a great example of how working with partners, we can help
improve people's lives with the latest technology."

America's first full mobile service provided by Odin Mobile, including RAY,
the world's first mobile device specially developed for the blind and
visually impaired, will be officially launched at the 2013 M-Enabling Global
Summit  organized in cooperation with FCC and ITU on June 6-7 in Washington.

About Odin Mobile:
Based in Rockville, Maryland, Odin Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO focused on
providing unparalleled mobile service to the visually impaired. Every aspect
of its innovative service is designed to make it easier for the visually
impaired to take full advantage of mobile technology.  Its mission is to
narrow the gap between the extent to which the visually impaired and general
populations use mobile services. For more information, please visit
www.odinmobile.com.

About Project RAY:
Project RAY Ltd. develop and market breakthrough accessibility solutions for
blind and visually impaired people. The flagship product, the RAY
smartphone, is an integrated mobile device developed especially for eye-free
usage. It features a common user interface across all system functions, apps
and services including voice calls, email, messaging, calendar, GPS,
advanced WEB remote assistance, voice recorder, panic and emergency
services, and more. RAY leverages cutting edge mobile technologies to afford
all blind and visually impaired people the lifestyle improvements we all
take for granted in today's smartphone world: greater independence,
spontaneity and mobile accessibility to services we use daily. For more
information, please visit www.project-ray.com

The Fareham  area of Southern England has been Colin
Howard's home  ever since July 1981, only the Lord
himself knows for how much longer this will remain true.