[access-uk] new V plus HDD recorder from NTL

  • From: "Stephen Green" <stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:17:25 -0000

Hi All
Yesterday I had the new V plus HDD recorder installed from virgin media,
formerly NTL.

For the basic package I will pay £10 per month on top of the charge for my
broadband and telephone, although I know that others have been quoted £15 per
month. The installation was free of charge, but virgin media quote £75 in their
adverts for some customers - presumably those with no existing cable setup.
Sky, on the other hand quoted me £160 installation plus £35 per month for their
basic package. The V plus box is also high definition, but currently there are
still few free stations broadcasting in HD.

The box is the usual size and is black. On the rear there are two SCART
sockets, an esata socket for further disk expansion, an USB socket for goodness
knows what, an Ethernet socket and an HDMI outlet.

The box will simultaneously record two channels, whilst you can watch a third,
but the engineer said that as long as the broadcasts don't start at exactly the
same time, you can record three channels simultaneously. Of course it supports
audio description when viewing, recording and in playback mode.

Virgin media supply an HDMI cable free of charge and my TV is now set up to
view via that system. It must be a good picture as my wife said yeeeuccckk when
she switched it on and there was  a frog's eye filling the screen  in high def.
she says she wants to sit about 6 feet further away from the screen when its
showing creepy crawlies.

The remote control is quite complicated, but uses tactile buttons, so learning
the layout is fairly simple, and I can switch the box on and off standby  and
change the channel.

However, there the ease of use ends as the EPG and hence the recording system
are quite complex, with no audible help. The playback system is equally
inaccessible. But my wife who is sighted has no problem with these systems.

The hard disk is 160 Gb but there seems to be only 55 hours of recording time
available as it must keep some space in reserve to enable it to perform its
roll back function, which allows the viewer to roll back the channel they are
currently watching for up to one hour.

I hope this has been of interest to some of the current NTL users on the list.

Steve Green