[access-uk] Re: networking several devices

  • From: Jim McAuslan <jim.mcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:24:52 +0100

Hi Ibrahim,

I get what you are saying. In my offic e come studio my music machine is fairly close to the rooter and I think I already have a long enough ethernet cable.

Also, I have other cabling going up into my attic and down into my living room for various reasons so there won't be much of a problem, apart from getting a custom ethernet cable made up. What will be the downside of using all three ports on my rooter?
Jim Mc
On 18/08/2013 21:08, Ibrahim Gucukoglu wrote:
Hi Jim.

The problem with hard wiring is that you'll have to have the devices in fairly close proximity to the router, not unless you want to have 30 metre plus long extension cables or drill for cabling holes through your walls. I suggest you go wireless and only have one computer hard wired to the router, the one you use the most or perhaps the one that's nearest to the router such as your office machine.

All the best, Ibrahim.
-----Original Message----- From: Jim McAuslan
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:27 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] networking several devices

Hi List,

I have two pcs which I use frequently and I would like to have both
connected to my rooter.  Also, I'm thinking about buying an internet
radio, such as the Sonata.  Therefore, I would like to know if I could
network all three devices via my rooter.
I have three ethernet ports on my rooter.
What software would I need and so on.
TIA

--
Jim McAuslan from sunny Findhorn