[access-uk] Re: my desktop

  • From: George Bell <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:24:14 +0000

Hi Adrian,

I'm inclined to suggest that before you go any further, you look at what is
running on your PC at the moment with Paul.

In Windows 7 click on Start and in the Search box, type in "processes" (without
the quotes).  One of the options which comes up should be, "Windows Task
Manager".

The Status Bar at the bottom of this dialog should show you the Processes, CPU
Usage and Physical Memory being used.  I would ignore the number of processes
for now, but look at CPU usage and Physical Memory.

To give you a real example, I actually have 11 applications running including
Outlook, and the CPU use is showing 3% or less.  However, it is no surprise
that 42% of my * Gigabytes of Physical Memory is being used.  It's no surprise
that having closed all but Outlook, the CPU is fairly steady at 1% and memory
use is down to 36%.

If you do find CPU or memory use high, you can click on the Processes tab where
there's a CPU and Memory column among others.  Click on the column name to sort
and see what is using all the power.

It won't be the first time I have seen a rogue program dominating things.

George.