[access-uk] Re: mp3 recorders

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:28:40 +0100

Damon, I've no direct experience with the Edirol R09 but the reviews
I've heard on Blindcooltech don't suggest, to me at least, that the
mic pre-amp hiss is that bad.  I keep hearing people around that list
mention an AT stereo mic as being a good partner for the R09.

Perhaps Steve Nutt, who's a keen advocate of the R09 will enlighten
you further on this aspect of things.  There's plenty on the net to,
one example being at:

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/edirolr-09.htm

I must say though that the recently introduced, and more expensive
Fostex FR2 LE sounds as though it might be the obvious choice now for
portable digital recorders below £400.00, though I've seen no reviews
yet from a blind or VI persons standpoint.  This recorder  though is
more professionally oriented with its XLR mic inputs.  Certainly hope
it gets a review soon.  It supports both .wav, and .BWF formats, plus
MP3 at 192kbs, as well as 24bit depth recording.

Hope that's of some help.

Cheers,

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of phil stephenson

  Hi All,

Been off list for quite a while now so lost touch a bit with what's
happening, good to be back and see the list is as active as ever!

After some suggestions for a hardware mp3 player / recorder that I can
use to give to my personal reader to record audio onto and then for me
to quickly
& easily dump onto my hard drive for storage & playing back on my
bookcourier / pc.  It doesn't necessarily have to be fully accessible
for me as it will
be used by a sighted person but it must be easily syncable with my pcc
and be able to record up to record / store up to 5 hrs worth of mp3 at
a time.

I already have a plexter ptr2 which is great but I don't want to give
this to my reader to take away and leave me without the rest of the
time.

I do have an old Olympus dm1 recorder but I've never found it easy to
sync and get files off and if my memory servies me right (which is no
guarantee!)
it tends to default to recording in WAV format.

Anyway your suggestions greatly appreciated.

ATb,

Phil