[access-uk] Re: mp3 lending services

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:51:04 +0100

Christine

I am already a member of RNIB TB.

By the way, when you go to the Calibre website, enter on the link that says
Calibre Services.  From there you will find a link that says find out how to
join.

Also, if you go to the news link you will find a link to send an e-mail to
join the mailing list.

Looking at the site, I discover that they have 86 volunteers, most of whom
put in a morning or an afternoon.  They send out 2000 books each day.  They
say they often return books on the same day, but I haven't found this to be
the case, although this may be due to Royal Mail.  Post does seem to be a
bit slow at present.  Even RNIB can't do anything about that, and I do
wonder whether Royal Mail will be able to carry on our free postage for much
longer, as there is now so much competition against them.  Apart from plenty
of junk mail and a few official communications, my post is mostly talking
books, so I don't complain if things are a bit slow.

RNIB now has a new streaming service which I have joined, and I am also a
member of Audible and the Audio Club of One Word Radio.  This means that if
I have nothing on tape or CD, I can still access something to read.  It
would be great if all the libraries went over to a streaming service or
provided downloadable books, but the ones I have joined do have to be paid
for.  Calibre is the only free service, and I hope it can go on being free.

Wendy