[access-uk] Re: more info on the DM5 Digital Recorder

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:04:21 +0100

Hi Jeff

The only warning I would issue regarding RNIB recorders is the 12-minute one
which, in our view, is really crap to put it bluntly.  It's plastic, doesn't
really let a blind person know they are recording when on the phone, for
example, and is something more akin to a cheap Christmas cracker.  Sorry but
I'm being brutally honest.  We got one just to have by the phone instead of
running around looking for one of our players if caught out, and we sent it
back because it was so awful.  A big thumbs down from us for this one.
Can't remember the product code for it, but I think they are about £18.50
each.

The DM5 is a nice machine and, if you want to eventually put music on it or
listen to a book, then it is a good choice.  But, as others have said, you
can get something relatively cheap just for recording notes.  If you
encounter difficulties with the Internet and faffing about with websites, I
would be willing to look for you and report off list if that helps?

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns