[access-uk] Re: looking for a program that will diagnose problems on the computer and fix them

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:27:55 -0000

Hi Kevin.  I think Alistaire has given some careful advice here which will not
involve spending any money.  The cleanup utilities provided with Windows are
only basic though.

It might be that a paid for solution to your problem might include System
Mechanic,

http://www.iolo.com/sm/6pro/index.cfm

They have just released version 6 of this software, and there is a free
evaluation version too.

Again, there is Checkit diagnostic utilities,
http://www.smithmicro.com/default.tpl?sku=CKDWINEE&group=product_full

this can be bought from the above site, and it is bundled with the Norton
Premier edition of its System Works, I believe, but Norton's support leaves
much to be desired and I do not think there is any need to burden yourself with
the whole Norton works!

I'm estounded by how many people seem to resort to reformatting their systems.
Since I've been using XP - for the last two years - I've never done this.  I
did it once in the five years I ran Windows 98 SE.  Regular maintenance and
backup is the real solution.  And don't forget it could well be the software
you mention that is buggy.  You can compare notes with other users running it
in a similar setup to your own to try and determine whether it is a software
specifiic bug or maybe an unfortunate interaction with other software.

HTH.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx