[access-uk] Re: long canes

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:55:54 -0000

Hi Andy

You use the other tips in a different way to the roller tip.  Instead of
just rolling back and forth with constant contact with the ground, the
static tips need a tapping action.  It's known as the three point tap
because you tap to one side, to the other then to a wall, then you reverse
the action.  This three point tapping can be quicker than using a roller tip
and there's less chance of it catching on things, but you can also miss
things easier.  Also, you do need training to do the three point tap
properly.  There are various shapes of these static tips, but I can't tell
you why.

Cheers

Barry

  _____