[access-uk] Re: linux for the blind

  • From: "James & Nash" <james.austin1984@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:43:11 +0000

Hi Issac

I think a number of the problems you might have found in Ubuntu were due to the
way speech was handled by Pulseaudio and the fact that it  wasn't very well
integrated into the Linux kernel. There are work arounds on the following site
if you are interested though:

http://www.live.gnome.org/Orca

Also, I found that when I used the latest version of Ubuntu, I think it is
9.10, that by default the special video effects were  enabled, which meant that
certain features were not accessible to Orca. These should be turned off, then
things become a lot easier, although I think you will still need to use the
command line to access Administrative applications and perform Admin tasks.

TC
James, Lyn, Nash & Twinny