[access-uk] Re: linux for the blind

  • From: "Isaac Porat" <isaac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:13:00 -0000

Hi

Regarding Vinux, it is working very well out of the box you can get the
virtual edition which you can get going under Windows in minutes.  By
default (like NVDA) it uses espeak which I actually like a lot.
If you want to learn to use Linux Vinux is very good and the support on the
mailing list is excellent too.  The drawback with Vinux is that it is based
on Debian Lenny which uses gnome 2.22 (the desktop) which is fairly old (the
current gnome version is 2.28) and there have been substantial accessibility
improvements since; since 2.26 you can use Open Office 3 and Thunderbird 3
which are a lot more accessible than earlier versions.  So if you want to do
some real work with Vinux GUI, you are probably better wait until the next
version which will probably come out sometimes in April, will be based on
Debian Squeeze and will have the latest gnome 2.28.

Your other option is Ubuntu.  The latest called Karmic (gnome 2.28) never
worked for me having issues of slow speech etc but the version before called
Jaunty (gnome 2.26) is very good and you can be productive with it - be
prepared for a steep learning curve with Linux.

Regards
Isaac