[access-uk] Re: laptop accessibility

  • From: Edward Green <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 18:51:09 +0000

Hi Husna,

You shouldn’t have a problem using Window-Eyes with Windows 8.1.  However,
Window-Eyes doesn’t support touch screens as of Window-Eyes version 8.4 or 9.0
beta 1 (I suppose it’s possible that the functionality may be added prior to
the release of 9.0 but I don’t know whether it will be).  This means that
you’ll need a keyboard interface rather than, say, a tablet.  If you get one of
those two in one tablets, then Window-Eyes will only work with the laptop part
as far as I know.

You might also want to be careful in terms of which laptop you get.  An
increasing number seem to have touch sensitive controls these days.  For
example, I saw two this week: one had touch sensitive function keys, and one
bizarrely had a touch sensitive caps lock.  You’ll also want to ensure you can
do things like easily turn on or off wi-fi.

Some people do prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8.1, though you may find yourself
paying more for a Windows 7 laptop.  While this might seem counter intuitive,
it’s a simple supply or demand issue - Microsoft pushed PC manufacturers to
ship Windows 8 machines and no-one wanted them, so Windows 7 machines are (or
at least were) scarcer.

Cheers,

Ed