[access-uk] Re: iphone and other stuff was More Nokia C5 Woes

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:26:46 +0100

Helpful.

I just one to try one out so will try to do that soon.

Carol P

----- Original Message ----- From: "martin wilsher" <martinwilsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: martin wilsher <martinwilsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:  access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC:
Date: Friday, 27 June 2014 11.42 am
Subject: [access-uk] iphone and other stuff was RE: Re: More Nokia C5 Woes

I have recently gone for an apple iphone, as I didn't much like the
moto g, and what's more, I got a fantastic deal on the iphone5c at
upgrade time that completely rocks, so went that way.  Finding the
iphone 5c good, but finding accessories for it, cases etc, a pest to
find.  Found a stylus now so I can write and also type faster, I may
try flexey as others have said that one to be a good app for speeding
up typing when you're a fat fingered personage like me.

From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, 27 June 2014 11.20 am

Martin,

I agree with most of what you say here, but would be a lot more
positive about Android. The fact remains that many blind people are
finding phones like the Moto G usable, and the price is about #150.
There are some active blind Android mailing lists, and other forms of
support are growing. OK, something like the Moto G will feel very
different from the C5, but some people are finding it a practical answer.

Vince.

Message Received: Jun 27 2014, 09.59 AM
From: "martin wilsher"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Imho at the moment The problem with drift of the mobile industry is
that we have the bespoke phones, alto 2, and another that I can't
remember the name of sold by Cobolt for those with usable sight. We
used to have talks, now defunct, then we get to Android, not easy for
older people, I consider android with its somewhat questionable
accessability to be the Linux of the mobile world. Then there is
apple, the gold standard at the moment. I have deliberately left out
Microsoft here, as their commitment to accessibility is questionable
imho, especially when they scrap cymbian, then put out a blog asking
"what do we do for blind p0"com" when they realised they'd also binned
a screen reader with the old moble os. Microsoft are said to be
getting narrator for windows phone eight, though whether that will be
a patch on apple's voiceover, I can't say. Until then, the tie up with
mobilespeak seems to be a rather walled garden solution, not a true
screen reader at the moment. So basically for the budget user, we have
no usable solutions at the minute, other than the bespoke, some call
them blindie phones, I call them meeting a need in a very confusing
and fast moving market. Imho, Microsoft have acted in a very short
sighted and disgusting manner and did immeasurable damage to their
credibility with the move away from cymbian, without implementing a
full access solution for the new windows eight phone before retiring
the old os.-Original Message-----