[access-uk] Re: intruder alarms

  • From: "Tink Watson" <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:49:39 +0100

Derek,

        We have an intruder/burglar alarm on the house, which I can activate
and deactivate without difficulty.

        I don't recall which particular brand of alarm we have, but it can
be activated before leaving the house with a single button, and is
deactivated when entering the house with a 4 digit pin code that is entered
on a conventional telephone style num pad.

        I know there is considerably more to the alarm than that, but I've
never tried to learn how it works. Ours does give of an alarm sound, from
the box in the hall, when it needs servicing and I know it has several
different modes of operation. This I leave to my sighted other half though.

        Things I'd bear in mind are, to install the alarm box close to the
door and easily accessible, be aware that feedback is either visual or
audio, and don't hurry when entering the pin code to deactivate the alarm,
there's usually more time than you'd think to enter it.

Tink.