[access-uk] Re: internet & telephone shopping

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:49:58 +0100

In a sense, Steve and Gerry are both right in this conversation about internet
vs. phone shopping - in different ways of course.

Steve's undoubtedly right in pointing out picking up on special offers, and
once you have got your head around internet shopping it becomes less of a
chore.  Phone shopping, on the other hand, is just more straight forward for
most people, but unless the assistant has been enabled to pick up on offers or
they are somehow incorporated into the phone option, you do miss out.

What worries me rather in all of this is that human service is so obviously
being removed from physical shopping wherever possible.  Someone aught to award
a prize for the first kperson finding an assistant.  I do agree that Sainsbury
does seem to be keeping up a commitment to good customer service, particularly
in the pleasantness and availability of its staff, albeit that entailing
waiting at times.  I might say that often the newer Metro stores are something
else!  Often staff in those places are recruited for their youth and rudeness
alone.   The impression you gain is that many large scale traders want nothing
more in the world than to realise the benefits of large numbers of people
shopping on-line so they can truly become food and consumer goods warehouses,
rather than retail outlets.

All very well, but where does that leave many, well, most of us?  Let's just
hope internet access and usability keeps up with shifting everyone online, if
that's what they really are after.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx