[access-uk] Re: installing vista SP1

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:56:30 +0100

Hi Graham,

I have just installed Vista SP1 - and what a [multiple
expletives deleted] rotten exercise!  I was going to write
something up later, but as the whole process has taken me a
number of days, I'm still trying to catch up on the backlog,
but here's a brief summary.

1)      Be warned that the download is 445 Megabytes.

2)      If you have installed any Vista Language Packs, be
warned that you can only have English, French, German
Spanish and Japanese. If you have installed any others, you
will have to remove them first.  Each one is .61 GIGA bytes
in size, and takes between 20 and 30 minutes to remove, plus
you have to re-boot and wait while the system reconfigures
itself.

3)      I have a Pentium IV 2.8GHz processor, with 1.5 GB
memory, and plenty of free disk space, yet the upgrade
process took a full two and a half hours with a number of
re-boots in between.

It's too early yet to assess whether there is any real
improvement in performance, so we'll just have to see how it
goes over the next few days.

George.