[access-uk] Re: installing new cd drive

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:54:07 -0000

Hi Kevin,

It's not a switch, it a set of jumpers on the back of the CD
drive.  Let me say now that they are not usually easy to
change, even for someone with 20/20 vision.  Plus, you also
need to know exactly what you are doing, and what they need
to be set to.  Usually it's "Slave", if it's the second unit
on an IDE cable.  But sometimes it might be "Cable Select".

Have you anyone sighted who can help?

George.

emma
> Sent: 10 December 2004 12:46
> To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [access-uk] Re: installing new cd drive
>
> *groan* why are things never simple? could this also be
the
> cause of the problem i'm having mentioned in my other
message
> just now? where do i find this switch?
> email or msn
> kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> cheers - kevin

installed

> > has gone! any suggestions?
> > email or msn
> > kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > cheers - kevin

new
> CD-RW
> > > drive automatically. However, if you're putting the CD
> drive
> > > onto the end of an IDE cable which already has another
> drive on
> > > it, you will have to ensure that the jumper at the
back
> of the
> > > CD-RW drive is set to "slave", which it probably
already
> is but
> > > is not guaranteed to be. Otherwise, if you're able to
> put it on
> > > its own IDE ribbon, then the jumper should be set to
> "master".
> > > These jumpers are very small and fiddly to deal with
> and, if you
> > > have to move it, you may need sighted help.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > John.
> > > Author of From The Keyboard Tutorials
> > > for Visually Impaired Computer Users
> > > To view my tutorials, please visit my Website at:
> > > Website: http://web.onetel.com/~fromthekeyboard
> > > Tel: 0113 2575957
> > > E-mail: jwjw@xxxxxxxxxx

internal
> model. i
> > > know where
> > > all cables etc go. i'm just wondering am i going to
need
> sighted
> > > assistance
> > > at any point? i.e. when i restart the pc or similar?
i'm
> using
> > > jfw 4.5 and
> > > windows XP.
> > > email or msn
> > > kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > cheers - kevin
> > >
> > > ** To leave the list, send a message to:-
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > ** and in the Subject line type
> > > ** unsubscribe
> > > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send
> > > message, to
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
> faq
> > >
> > > ** To leave the list, send a message to:-
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > ** and in the Subject line type
> > > ** unsubscribe
> > > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send
> message, to
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
> faq
> > >

> > ** To leave the list, send a message to:-
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a
> message, to
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq

> This Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.