[access-uk] Re: installing new cd drive

  • From: "John Wilson" <jwjw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:22:10 -0000

Hello Kevin,

No, you should be OK and Windows should pick up your new CD-RW
drive automatically. However, if you're putting the CD drive
onto the end of an IDE cable which already has another drive on
it, you will have to ensure that the jumper at the back of the
CD-RW drive is set to "slave", which it probably already is but
is not guaranteed to be. Otherwise, if you're able to put it on
its own IDE ribbon, then the jumper should be set to "master".
These jumpers are very small and fiddly to deal with and, if you
have to move it, you may need sighted help.

HTH,
John.
Author of From The Keyboard Tutorials
for Visually Impaired Computer Users
To view my tutorials, please visit my Website at:
Website: http://web.onetel.com/~fromthekeyboard
Tel: 0113 2575957
E-mail: jwjw@xxxxxxxxxx