[access-uk] Re: iTunes audio book on the Victor Stream

  • From: Amro Bilal <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 23:35:31 +0100

Hi David,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, much appreciated. Unfortunately, I bought the book from the iTunes store so it is protected. I’ve had a look at this programme's website, and it seems to have few cool apps that may come handy one day. It does have another programme to convert protected files, but it works by rerecording the material, which is not the quickest way.

All the best,

Amro

On 21/09/2019 03:35 pm, David Griffith wrote:

You won’t be in any copyright trouble as you are converting the material into an accessible format for personal use. This is specifically  allowed in the Act year and title I can’t recall just now but was in earlier part of this century.

Anyway to refer to your specific issue.

If the format iTunes is delivering to you is an m4b audio book format and is not copy protected there are tools for providing this conversion.

Unfortunately most main Audio Convertors like from memory like GoldWave and Switch  have in my experience the problem of truncating the book so you lose the last part of it for some reason.

The program I have used successfully in the past is a program called

Free m4b to mp3 converter which works well as it also if you wish splits the  m4b file into mp3 chapters.

However the bad news is that I think you would definitely  have to use the Jaws cursor to use the program and I don’t think it would be, for example, accessible with NVDA. You could of course use Jaws in free 40 minute mode if you are currently restricted  to NVDA only.

From memory you need to find the add button with the jaws cursor  (use num pad minus and then normal arrow keys) and use a virtual mouse click on that ( numpad /), then an accessible windows dialogue comes up asking for the location of the  m4b file and then after pressing OK on that you have to then find the  convert button again with the Jaws cursor and click on that.

It will then convert your m4b file into mp3 chapters.

Provided you are used to using the Jaws cursor it works well.

I don’t have it installed on my machine right now but will have a look on my setup folder to see if I still have the install. Like many free programs it tries to get you to install other stuff but you can turn this down.

David Griffith