[access-uk] iPhone 5 problem, help!

  • From: "Jackie Brown" <thebrownsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'BCAB Discussion List'" <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:45:52 -0000

Apologies first and foremost for cross-posting, but I need some help please?

My iPhone has decided to act strangely, or rather, I have done something to
make it act strangely! (smile).

Martin borrowed my handset earlier to use the spirit level.  Whether he
touched something on the screen, or whether it did this itself, goodness
knows.  But VoiceOver appears to have gone.  If I ask Siri to turn it on, or
hook it up to my iMac in iTunes and visit the Universal Access portion, it
says VoiceOver is on.  But once Siri stops speaking, I can't get anything
else out of the iPhone.  I tried calling it from Martin's mobile, and it
rings, but VoiceOver and the ring tone are both much quieter than Siri was
when he spoke.  In any event, I can't get VoiceOver to speak, so am pretty
stuck without sighted assistance suitable enough to read the screen and get
me into Settings so I can have a look in Accessibility.

Perhaps somebody could also explain the switch above the two volume buttons
on the left side of the phone?  If I push it away from me as the iPhone
faces me, it vibrates.  What is this switch for as I have never used it, and
don't know if it has accidentally moved.  Either way, still no VoiceOver.

What have we done? (smile).  Any suggestions welcome, other than resetting
the iPhone back to factory default which I am only prepared to do as a very
last resort.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Twitter: @thebrownsplace