[access-uk] Re: how to type foreign charactors on keyboard?

  • From: "John Wilson" <jwjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:41:33 +0100

Hello Justin,

Perhaps you'll find the below extract from my MS Word 97 to 2003
tutorial a little easier to understand if not covering every
possible accent sound you might ever want to generate.

HTH,
John Wilson.
Author of From The Keyboard Tutorials
for Visually Impaired Computer Users
To view my tutorials, please visit my Website at:
Website: http://web.onetel.net.uk/~fromthekeyboard
Tel: 0113 2575957
E-mail: jwjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

********

2.4. Generating Diaeretics and Accents in a Document

If you have to type some form of symbol which is not provided
for
on your keyboard, there are several ways you can generate such
a symbol. For example, If you are a JAWS user and can see enough
to visually identify symbols like accents, circumflexes, euro
signs and umlauts, you can use the JAWS feature of INSERT 4 (on
the large keyboard) to be able to ARROW down a list of symbols
and press ENTER on one of these to insert it into your document
at the cursor point. Alternatively, you can press ALT I (for
Insert) and then S (for Symbol) to enter a list of many symbols
to get inserted into your text, if you can see to choose the one
you want or if your screenreader can speak them to you.

In other instances there are shortcut keys to generate single
symbols, for example:

To insert a euro sign: Hold the ALT-CONTROL key down and press
the number 4 on the large keyboard.

To insert an acute: Hold down CONTROL and press the apostrophe
and release both, then type the letter which requires the accent
mark, e.g. on both of the E's of resume, so that they gain small
acute marks over them. Alternatively, you can achieve this same
result by pressing ALT CONTROL E at the point where you want the
accented E to appear.

To insert a circumflex: Hold down CONTROL and SHIFT and press
the
number 6 key, then release them and type the required letter,
e.g. on the first a of chateaux, which creates a small inverted
V shape over the A. Holding down ALT CONTROL and pressing the A
key also works in this instance.

To insert a grave: Hold down CONTROL and then press the GRAVE
key
and release both, then type the letter requiring the grave on
it.

To insert an umlaut: Hold down CONTROL and SHIFT keys and press
the colon and release them, then type the letter which requires
the accent, which will place two small dots above the letter.

To insert an upside down question mark: Hold down ALT, CONTROL
and SHIFT and press the question mark key, e.g. as used in
Spanish sentences.

To insert an upside down exclamation mark: Hold down ALT,
CONTROL, SHIFT and press the exclamation mark key, e.g. as used
in Spanish sentences.

To create an AO diphthong: Hold down CONTROL and SHIFT and press
the number 7 key and release them, then press SHIFT and A.

To create a OE diphthong: Hold down CONTROL and SHIFT and press
the number 7 key and release them, then press O, e.g. as with
the
OE in the word onomatopoeia.

Note: You can also generate all of the accents and accented
letters via their ASCII codes. Do this by turning your Numpad
key
on and then hold down the ALT key and type on the Numpad any
number in excess of 128 to see what can be generated, e.g. hold
down ALT and punch into the Numpad the figures 128 and press
SPACEBAR or ENTER and you will generate a C cedilla, punch the
figure 129 in and you will produce the letter U with the umlaut
sign, type 130 to get an E acute and simply try the other three
digit combinations to find out what else is available. Whether
this ASCII method of generating accented symbols works for you
or not will depend on the version of Word you have and the
version of Microsoft Windows you are running.