[access-uk] hard drive crash help please

  • From: "terry cooper" <terry.cooper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:56:54 +0100

Hi all
I was hoping someone could try to help me out here.
I have a HP Compaq Pavilion dv1000 (1665 eu) entertainment notebook.  Last
Satureday, the laptop died on me.  I didn't look for the garentee until the next
day, Sunday, only to find out that it ran out the day before!!!  I was gutted.
The pc won't boot up to the windows screen, instead it just just keeps
rebooting.  It won't boot up in safe mode, and when I tried to reinstall xp,
using
a cd, it got so far then came up with a message saying something like, it
couldn't find a hard drive to install the oporating system to.
I don't know whether my hard drive is dead, or perhaps whether the file
alocation table has become corrupt.
I have a couple of questions.
can I somehow connect my lap top to another pc, to try to use a file recovery
programme that I have, and if so, what sort of lead can I use.  Can you get
a USB to USB lead?
Any ideas where I could get a replacement drive from at a sensible price?
Any help appreciated.
Terry