[access-uk] graphical images

  • From: <alex.thynne@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:57:31 +0100

Hi all

perhaps this may have bene mentioned in relation to yahoogroups, however, I
have found a problem with trying to sign up to the asda.co.uk main website.
The excuse the site uses for entering the numbers into the edit box is:
Please type the characters you see in the image below into the verification
code field. This is for added site security and ensures that your photos are
safe.

I don't want to use this part of the service however, I just may want to use
the other online stores and receive email news on new products and services.
I've decided to take this up with someone from the campaigns team at RNIB to
see if they have any advice about this.  I am concerned that as this is a UK
site, perhaps I, and the rest of us that use screenreaders and have no way
of seeing the screen at all, are being discriminated against.  When I bought
my PC, I found I had exactly the same problem with trying to upgrade my Abby
FineReader package because I couldn't see a graphical image.

Perhaps we ought to raise merry hell about this problem, especially if it
concerns UK companies and organisations.  I would be interested in what
anyone else says on this, and how successful or otherwise, you have been in
solving this problem.  I am happy to name and shame to RNIB if other people
want to let me have any details of inaccessible sign ups which I can pass on
to RNIB campaigns.  I'm really angry about this one.

Alex
skype name: grytpype2006
windows live messenger name: alex.thynne