[access-uk] Re: getting help from tesco drivers

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:42:21 +0100

Ray, I do indeed live 10 minutes away from a supermarket, the dainsburys at
WhiteChapel  but unfortunately most of the assistants they offer for help
round the shop seem to have real difficulties with reading, speaking english
or both so unfortunately it's not a very happy experience.  I could use a
shop like Waitrose which is a bit further away in canary warf, but does
include staff in danger of actually possessing a few brain cells or with
enough knowledge of english to be able to understand what I want.  It's
expensive though worth it as a treat some times.

Online shopping does at least mean that I can say what I want and at least
most of the time what i ask for is what I get.

I don't mean this to be in any way racist but I must admit it is languagist
and it is a pleasant change to go supermarket shopping outside london and be
offered good quality help.

In some ways, this is I know straying off the Access Technology issues for
which this list is meant but it does explain in part why the ability to shop
online gives so many blind people, including myself, the motivation required
to get to grips with the internet.

Regards

Graham

Graham Page