[access-uk] Re: frustration with tiscali

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:08:52 -0000

Sorry to hear you are having these problems.  A few months ago a friend
changed from 2MB broadband with free evening and weekend calls to up to 8MB
broadband, free anytime calls to UK 01 and 02 numbers and line rental, all
for £19.99 a month.  I thought this was a good bargain so applied online for
it.  My transfer went through with absolutely no hitch,  I just received a
couple of e-mails telling me the date the upgrade would take place, and
everything went smoothly.

My friend, on the other hand, has had appalling problems, with her phone
being cut off for weeks, some ability to get online but very spasmodic, and
having to use her mobile phone to contact customer services, which has cost
her a fortune.  Fortunately we have a sighted friend who helps us with our
computer problems, and he gave my friend lots of help phoning Tiscali and
acting for her.  In the end she did receive some compensation, but not
nearly enough in our opinion.

As far as the actual broadband and phone connection goes, I am quite happy
with the service.  There are occasional short down times, but I expect that
happens with all ISP's.

I think perhaps a complaint to OFCOM might be in order.  That's the only
organisation I can think of who might be able to put the boot in.  Certainly
you should ask for compensation for their mistakes, the inconvenience caused
to you and your phone bills.

Wendy