[access-uk] Re: for your information: the history of speech synthesis

  • From: Aman Singer <aman.singer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 12:19:02 -0400

Hi Ian and all,
I don't think the issue is what the presenter, or the writer for that
matter, was interested in so much as that they could have told the
story of synthesis and didn't. We hear the astonishing move from 1939
and a machine which sounded horrible even at slow speeds and took a
year to learn to use to the Dectalk, which has been moved everywhere
and works on Windows, Linux, mobile, etc, and which was so good at all
speeds that it has been basically the same, simply moving from
platform to platform, for thirty years. There are many steps, and we
hear all of them in Klatt's samples, but I still have no clue how we
got from 1939 to 1980. Similarly, it would have been good to update to
today with the processing power and memory for voices like Neospeech
sittting on something so small as a phone. Who started that? How did
they do it? Dumbing it down is one thing, probably necessary for
people like me who know less than nothing about sound production, but
the work to get us here simply wasn't mentioned, I'm confused about
the point of the program. If anyone doesn't know by now that speech
syhnthesis exists and can be used to speak by people who can't... Even
if you just want to focus on people who can't speak, it would have
been nice to know how the speech producers work without driving the
speaker up the wall, if I had to type out all I wanted to say, I
would decide now was the time to take that vow of silence people are
always suggesting.
Aman

Thanks Mo for sharing the link. Unsurprisingly I guess Lucy’s main interest
is in machines which can replicate speech for those who can’t do it for
themselves whereas our interest is in speech which can act as a substitute
for our eyes. I’m once again reminded that the first piece I ever did for
In Touch back in 1980 was about the Kurzweil Reading Machine, about the size
of a table top photo copier and with a price ticket of £10,000. The only
private individual who owned one was Stevie wonder. How far we have come.

On 3 Sep 2015, at 18:34, Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Everyone. Many of you may find the following video quite
interesting. It explains how speech synthesis has evolved over the years
since 1939.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=097K1uMIPyQ

all the best,

Mo.