[access-uk] Re: export address book in outlook express 6 - part2

  • From: "Sunil" <bosley20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:15:20 +0100

In part one last week we looked at how and where Outlook Express stores
the files needed to transfer your email set-up from one PC to another.
This week
we'll be doing the deed, but first you must decide how you will copy the
files to the new PC since at least one of them is much too large to fit
on to
a floppy disc.

There are plenty of options, including copying the files to a CD-R/RW if
the PC you are transferring from has a CD-writer. You could set up a
direct cable
connection, or "DCC", (see
Bootcamps 67
and
68).
Files can be copied over a network, or you could temporarily "slave" the
hard drive from your old PC in the new machine. At a pinch, you could
even send
files to the second machine as e-mail attachments, though this could
take a while as the Message Store can contain dozens of megabytes of
data.

The idea is to copy the three main components of Outlook Express
(Message Store, Address Book and Accounts Information) via your chosen
medium to a folder
or folders on the hard drive on the new PC. This is important. The
information must be moved on to the recipient PC's hard disc,
particularly if you are
using a CD-R/RW, as the data on a recordable disc is flagged as "Read
Only" and this can prevent Outlook Express from accessing it properly.

You can move the three items one at a time or in one go, it doesn't make
any difference, but it's a good idea to start with the largest, the
Message Store.
Incidentally you don't have to copy all of your mailbox files (extension
"*.dbx") in the Message Store folder, but you must include the
"Folders.dbx" file
as this is the master index.

Once your Message Store folder is on the hard drive of the new machine,
you can copy your mailboxes into Outlook Express by going to: File <
Import < Messages
< Outlook Express 5 (or 6, if shown) < Next. Select "Import Mail" from
an OE5 or 6 Store Directory, click OK, use the Browse button to locate
the copied
Message Store folder and follow the prompts.

The Address Book is next. This is a single file with the extension
"*.wab" (see Part 1). Simply copy it across to a safe location on your
new PC's hard
drive (it should fit on to a floppy disc), and in Outlook Express on the
second PC go to File &gt; Import Address Book and point it to the
location of
your "wab" file.

If you have difficulty copying the Address Book in its native "wab" file
format, there's a fallback method. On your original PC open OE and go to
File <
Export < Address Book, select Text File (comma separated value), give it
a name and nominate a destination folder. Copy the "*.csv" file across
to the
new PC then go to File < Import < Other Address Book < Text File (comma
separated value).

The last step is to copy your Accounts Information. OE has a built-in
Export function, which you will find by going to Tools < Accounts and
start with your
email by selecting the Mail tab. (If you subscribe to newsgroups, select
the News tab and follow the same procedure.) If you have more than one
email account,
highlight each in turn and click the Export button.

You will be asked to specify a location and this will create an Internet
Account File (extension "*.iaf"); repeat as necessary for each email and
newsgroup
account. Copy the "*.iaf" files from your old PC (they should fit on a
floppy) into a folder on the hard disc of your new PC. Open Outlook
Express, go
to Tools < Accounts, select the Mail tab, click the Import button,
locate your copied "*.iaf" files and repeat until they're all safely
installed.

Your email passwords are not transferred and will have to be re-entered
the first time you use OE to send or receive emails. Outlook Express on
the new
PC is now ready to go, but it's a good idea to bed everything in by
carrying out a reboot.

Once you are happy OE is working properly, you can delete your transfer
files or copy them all into one folder, which can act as an archive or
backup, or
you can use them to set up email on another PC. Once you have a backup,
you can safely thin out your mailboxes.