[access-uk] Re: excel issues

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:55:18 +0000

Hi William,

I'll try and answer your question about Excel 2003 and Jaws, or at
least, suggest an alternative.

I don't know how you feel about trying a newer, free alternative
called Openoffice, which is completely Microsoft Office compatible
(I'm sure there are some fans here!) but here's what is needed:

A copy of Openoffice: http://download.openoffice.org/

A copy of Access Bridge
http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/accessibility/accessbridge/index.jsp

Some guidance, which can be found on the Jawslite mailing list at Freelists.org

Here is the relevant link to the post:
//www.freelists.org/post/jawslite/Using-Open-Office-with-JAWS,1

For your convienience, I will paste the information from that post
below. I hope this helps you or someone:

"Open Office must work with JAWS, as it works well enough with NVDA. The only
hurdle you have to get over, once you've got an up-to-date Java and an
up-to-date Java Access Bridge is to hook up Open Office to accessibility.

It's all very silly, but it goes like this, at least in the current
version, 3.0.

1. Open an Open office application, such as Writer.

2. Alt-T for Tools then O for Options. Down arrow 10 times to get to
Accessibility.

3. Press Tab to get into the dialog.

4. Press Space to toggle support for accessibility.

5. Press Enter to finish working in the menus.

6. Press CTRL + Q to exit.

You have to exit to make your changes work. On a clear day this should
get Open Office working."

--
Providing support to Britain's 500 talking newspaper services
http://www.talking-newspapers.co.uk/