[access-uk] email difficulties

  • From: "yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:49:05 +0100

Hi all, Was wandering if anyone could offer some advice on a problem that a
friend is having with her email. She is using Microsoft Outlook 2000, has a
multitude of email accounts, uses freeserve as her ISP and downloads most of
her mail from a Yahoo account. She has her system set up to leave emails on
the server and to delete emails when she deletes them in outlook.

Her problem is that from last Friday she has been unable to download her
unread messages. That is to say the process will begin, a certain number
(which varies) will be downloaded just fine and then the download will stop. She is then presented with an error which says something along the lines of X number of emails could not be downloaded, this figure varies and seems to bare no relevance to the actual number of emails remaining to be downloaded. In the last two days no messages have been downloaded at all. She is told that the server terminated the connection.

A couple of factors that we have both discussed.

1. She has messages stored on her computer and consequently on the yahoo
server going back a couple of years. Is it possible that either outlook or
yahoo's servers are confused when they try to determine which emails have to
be downloaded and which to be ignored? I ttried to download her messages for
her and had the same problems. She is on dialup I am on broadband. If this is the problem what is the point in
having the facility of storing up to 2 GB of messages in her Yahoo account?
Thanks for any help
Yusuf