[access-uk] diskeeper and jaws

  • From: "Stephen Green" <stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:08:26 +0100

Perhaps I should start by saying that my experience with diskeeper has been
exactly the same as Wendy with jaws 8 and win xp home. When I launch diskeeper
and highlight the drives to find if they are being defragmented automatically,
jaws goes into a right tizzy and announces quote enabled disabled disabled
disabled disabled disabled  unquote.

From there it gets worse as when I ask it to analyze the drive, a message
appears after about ten seconds saying that the operation has failed.

To try and sort this out, I telephoned diskeeper's u.k. technical support, but
after half an hour of struggling, we decided to call it a day until my wife
came home from work and could tell me what was going on on the screen.

However, with jaws running she was totally unable to get any sort of feedback
from the program which would report via speech the status of the drives. The
only thing she was able to tell me was that there was a screen showing that the
clusters had in fact been defragmented completely with all the blue blocks on
one side of the screen and the white blocks on another.

Therefore my conclusion is that if you install diskeeper without deviating from
the default settings, it will install with automatic defragmentation switched
on and jaws users will have to trust that it is in fact working properly.
However, you can check that the drives are properly defragmented by using
Microsoft defragmenter in system tools to report their status.

That apart, I was amazed at how quickly diskeeper rearrange my c drive with 20
Gb of data and my d drive with 300 Gb of data, performing the task in the time
between installing it and when my wife came home 5 hours later.

Finally, I must admit that my computer is slightly quicker, but I'm wondering
if its really worth 25 pounds.

Steve Green