[access-uk] Re: description of the scrabble board

  • From: Les Smithson <lsmithso57@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:33:38 +0100

Hi: I received the below on another list. It seems like this Scrabble
board is quite usable. It might even motivate me to have another go at
learning Braille.

BTW, Do you think the letter distribution is the same in the US as in
the UK?

"""
This sounds like the same braille Scrabble I have. Someone gave it to me
when I was about twelve years old, and it's still going strong. The
board itself is probably wood. It's got a sheet of plastic firmly glued
to it, and the plastic has waffle ridges that hold the tiles in place.
the board has colors and symbols for sighted Scrabble players, but it
also has braille abbreviations, like dl (double-letter) and tw (triple
word). The tiles are plastic, with both print and braille letters and
numbers. the turn-table mentioned in the description is really just a
piece of felt stuck to the underside of the board, which makes it easy
to rotate the board if it's on a flat surface.
"""

Ian Macrae writes:

There is a Braille Scrabble set at
http://www.braillebookstore.com/Braille-Scrabble.2
While this one has Braille markings on the board as well as the tiles, it’s
not clear either from the picture or the description whether the squares
have raised edges. At fifty-five quid it’s also more expensive than the
standard board game. It’s from the states but they do appear to ship over
here.
On 13 Sep 2015, at 11:32, Eleanor Martha Burke
<eleanormarthaburke@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:eleanormarthaburke@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Agreed, I did apologise for my comment yesterday so really there is no need
for people to keep commenting on my stupid remark.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Macrae"
<ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>