[access-uk] Re: description of the scrabble board

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:28:38 +0000

Exactly, if you can’t read the DL/TL and other Braille markings How can you
read the letters and scores on the tiles?

On 12 Sep 2015, at 14:11, Iain Lackie <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think that argument stands up at all. If you are playing Braille
Scrabble, it stands to reason you can read Braille.

Iain

-----Original Message----- From: Eleanor Martha Burke
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2015 12:31 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: description of the scrabble board

could not agree more EN but their argument would be I am sure that not
everybody could read Braille. I can live with that but what I find very hard
to live with is that the tiles do not stay in position. I know the person I
was playing with had to give me extra help which really I should not need but
that is all down to such a poorly designed board. I should be able to examine
the board quietly and without anyone having to say a word and instead she was
having to tell me where there were gaps and possible moves which means it was
really partly heard that was playing my turn.

On 12 Sep 2015, at 11:20, Iain Lackie <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Why didn't they use the Dl, TL, DW and TW markings for the premium squares
as on the original American board? That would have been the obvious solution
to putting tactile markings on the squares.

Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2015 11:05 AM
To: VIP Email
Subject: [access-uk] description of the scrabble board

The playing board consists of 15 x 15 squares in the playing area. there are
pegs at the corners of each square to help locate the tiles in their proper
position.

on some squares there are labels with tactile dots and bars. these mark the
premium letter squares and premium word squares. to ensure that the board is
correctly orientated, turn it so that the markings on the premium squares
run horizontally at the bottom of the labels, nearest you. The board is then
facing you correctly, and can be rotated as each player takes their turn.

Eleanor