[access-uk] considerations for a portable machine?

  • From: "adrian higginbotham" <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-Uk@Freelists. Org" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:21:53 +0100

Hi all:
I've got to choose a portable machine for a new job and have a couple of
queries re connectivity of such beastes.

floppy drive, the machines the employer currently uses don't have floppy
drives, these are purchased separately as external devices if required. are
there any problems using external floppy drives for access tech
authorization? thinking particularly of JFW and Duxbury.

USB to serial converters - as far as I can see portables seem to come with
just one serial drive and that on the docking station if using one, I like
to use an apollo speach synth and powerbraille 80 the latter of which has to
be connected via serial under a pro OS. does anyone know if these two work
when connected via usb to serial converters. if so can anyone name any
specific models which work.

anything else I need to think about such as is it possible to switch off the
touch pad found infront of the spacebar which substitutes the mouse on many
models.

thanks
Adrian Higginbotham,
Help2Access
University of Salford
Email A.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 01612952555.
Web: www.help2access.org.uk
Technology House, Lissadel Street, Salford M6 6AP.

** vacation ## d