[access-uk] Re: connected at vollentary placement

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:37:00 +0100

and it's good to know the network is secure after all.  Hannah, if your
network at home is not secure you really should secure it.

It's easy to connect to someone else's network if the connection is not
secure and use it for yor own purposes.  This may just be to find something
out on the web or download your email but there are far more sinister
activities than this.

For what it's worth, I would have no concerns what so ever about connecting
to an unsecured wireless network to read my mail or look up train times.  I
know this is stealing someone else's bandwidth but I really do regard this
as the network owner's problem for not employing basic security such as
using WEP at least to provide the security of needing to know a password in
order to connect.  Hiding the SSID is also a good idea.  You define the SSID
when you set up the network, and this is what is displayed when you see the
name of the network in the list you can connect to.

Cheers

Graham
Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493