[access-uk] Re: comodo firewall

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 20:00:38 +0100

Hi Christopher.

Essentially, Look and Stop looks quite accessible. it looks robust and an ideal solution.

The price however is fierce. It costs £39.00 for one machine and £39 for between 2 and 4 machines and £32 each for more than that. It is definitely one of the more expensive products out there but it is pretty accessible.

Kerio does also look good at first. The alert windows that come up are detailed and accessible but the administration/configuration page requires quite a lot of mouse cursor to access different parts of it. It is free, but the free version introduces features like add blocking and popup blocking on web pages. I don't want that. I just want a firewall.

Maybe there are older versions on sites like www.oldversions.com that would do the job. I tried version 2.114 of Kerio firewall from the JFWLite website. This works well but in the simple mode it does not recognize skype. and kept popping up messages for people wanting to contact skype and I wasn't sure exactly what to let through.

The advice given about Kerio seems to be that in simple mode it is too permissive where as in the advanced mode it asks about every single thing and there are just too many popups to make it usable.

The advice around the security sites I have looked at seems to be that Sygate is getting rather old now. A recent spyware attack, that caused all my recent woes, disabled Sygate easily anyway.

Regards

Graham
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Hallsworth" <chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>