[access-uk] captia relief.

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: r.harrington@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:52:45 +0100

Greetings,

This was sent to the Music-Anoraks group, for which, I am sure you will
agree, is strictly off-topic, as list owner, I replied accordingly.

I would be interested if anybody has followed this up in any way, I am not
aware of the information having previously been posted, if it has, sorry for
the duplication.

The original post was sent Wednesday 20 May 2009.

From: Bernard Maldonado bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

About 2 and a half months ago, an idea was born in my head.  So, like I

always do with a new idea, I evaluate the costs, potential customers,

requirements, and competition, among other factors.  Once I answered all of

my questions, I started to bring the people together and get the project

underway.

This project had a special component;  it's a bit controversial.  I took

quite a bit of extra time to read the mailing lists, read the forums, read

about failed attempts to launch such a service, and all the comments back

and forth.  Some people were quite vocal about their problems and issues.

One area that I paid close attention to was the criticisms, concerns, and

barriers.  Indeed, there were many.  BlindAD had a lot of information!

The site that I'm talking about is called Solona, which is a Human Asisted

CAPTCHA Solution Service.  It exists to help visually impaired people solve

CAPTCHAS that are usually found on website registration pages.  As you all

are fully aware, CAPTCHAS are usually not accessible.

Every step of the project implementation included the participation of blind

people.  The steering committee is made of blind people.  In fact, some of

the contributors and testers are from within the ranks of ACB state offices.

The service has been vetted, tested, documented, and has been in operation

for about 3 weeks now.  The two biggest factors about Solona are the

privacy/security features, and that it works with any operating system and

any browser since there is no plug in or tool bar to install.

The site address is http://www.solona.net <http://www.solona.net/>

Main points addressed in Solona (all of equal importance):

1. Privacy and Security

2. Efficiency and Effectiveness with minimal two way communication 3. Speed

and Response Time 4. OS independence and browser independence 5. Thorough

instructions and easy steps to follow 6. Full disclosure of how Solona works

and what happens to images 7. No cost to users.  No levels of service based

on price.

I am pleased with the initial release of Solona.  There will be ups and

downs, but so far, there are alot of happy users who have submitted images

for solution.  In fact, it's already being used by Spanish speaking blind

people who have translated the important information in order to use the

site.  Having said that, I always look for improvements and ways to provide

more.

This is probably the only time I will make an announcement about Solona.

I don't want to overrun the list with repeat messages.  Having said that, I

am more than willing to have conversations with anyone who is interested in

knowing more, or would like further clarification about the site.

The site has quite a bit of information to offer about Solona.

I apologize for being long-winded in this message.

Thank you.

Bernard Maldonado

From Colin Howard, who  lives near Southampton in
Southern England.