[access-uk] Re: by gone devices

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:35:15 +0000

I think one of the interesting things about the bespoke VI access tech market
is the amount of equipment which was developed then either found wanting or
superseded. One day I will have to sit down and make a list of everything I’ve
had over the years since the Eureka in the early 80s. And now I have one
mainstream device in my pocket that does everything they all did including
making notes with Braille input. And to think I grew up in a house which was
lit by gas and which had steam trains going past not twenty yards away.

Ian Macrae
Commissioning Editor
Disability Now
Tel +44(20) 7619 7760
Mob +44(07)824 900 855
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/>
follow us @disabilitynow<https://twitter.com/DisabilityNow> -
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Disability-Now/448258551882688> and
sign up to our eNewsletter
here<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/newsletter-subscription>
Disability Now, 6-10 Market Road, London, N7 9PW

On 19 Aug 2015, at 13:06, Hazel Darvell
<witch.hazel66@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:witch.hazel66@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Having had the problem with my VRS it made me think of a fantastic device we
had back in the 90's called Voice Diary.
/Anyone remember this one.
It had great voice recognition with a good load of memory for those times.
Only problem was even if you did not use it the thing needed charging up each
night.
I Can't remember the times we had to send it back to Ibi in London as again and
again it got corrupted in some way.
Sadly to say it caught fire whilest charging so that was the end of that.
I wish something similar was on the market.
Hazel
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with
the Subject:- faq