[access-uk] Re: braille sense replacement

  • From: Saqib Hussain <saqib1975@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 21:56:06 +0100

Hi Steve. I went on to the BBC website and I was able to access the content
with the screen reader! I've even used YouTube which has a web view and that
worked well for me.

On 14 Oct 2015, at 17:59, Steve Nutt <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

You sure the browser is accessible? Last I looked at a Kindle Fire HD, it
said Web Not Supported when I tried to browse.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
Tel: +44(0)1438-742286
Mob: +44(0)7956-334938
Fax: +44(0)1438-759589
Email: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

From: Ian Macrae <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender ian.macrae1
for DMARC)
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:59 am

As Mike Townsend pointed out in another context on last night's In Touch,
all of these machines are way behind the curve in terms of the mainstream
software they run, so much so that many modern websites are simply not
usable to them. Even the new Euro Braille model which Steve Nutt is about
to stock is only running windows 7. While i agree with those who've said
that the HIMS products are probably currently the best, the person who sold
me my U2 Mini actually said that he couldn't envisage any serious web user
ever using one of these machines because the browser is just not up to it
and the process is incredibly slow.
On 12 Oct 2015, at 12:07, jeff <jeffflint15@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My Braille-Sense 18 is pretty hammered.
Can anybody tell me if there is a better unit out there?
I need it to do the same kind of stuff but better web access and being
able to use the BBC web site more fully would be nice.
Also being able to click on a LINK in an email and going directly to the
web site would also be wonderful.
Most of the time even if I can open the email in the web browser it just
freezes.
Cheers
Jeff
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"subject=unsubscribe]