[access-uk] Re: braille from HSBC technical issues

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:43:17 +0000

Hi Paul,

This amused me even more, as a recipient of braille bank statements for all of
my adult life, as an equality advisor, and as a former computer programmer.

As an equality advisor, I'd have asked that equality and diversity manager
where his evidence was, as his assertion, without reasons, that what works for
sighted people would work for blind people is a flawed piece of
one-size-fits-all thinking, which is the opposite effect of diversity.

As a former computer programmer, I bet nobody specified that if a flag were set
in the system to show the reader has requested single-sided statements, then
when page is full print page return, print page return again, else no action.

As a recipient of braille bank statements since the seventies, I cannot
understand why the service so often deteriorate due to technical progress
(presumably in reverse gear).

I've had some weird things happening with Natwest, but this time, it's
confusion over whether to print in Standard English Braille Grade 1 or Grade 2,
which fo r reasons of their own they don't understand, as they call them
'graded and ungraded'. No sense in inventing their own jargon for this, because
it has led to confusion, as it was bound to do.

Best,
Clive

Best,
Clive

From: George Bell <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Date sent: Tue, 10 Nov
2015 21:13:47 +0000

Hi Derek,

Having been in the business of selling and supporting braille embossers for
around 30 years, I think I can safely say that I do know a modest amount about
the production of braille.

I don't know who this Equality and Diversity manager is, but he is certainly
not talking out of his mouth. He certainly knows nothing about braille
production by the sound of things. He may even be being given wrong
information by a lower member of staff.

Any, and I repeat, ANY double-sided braille embosser is capable of producing
single-sided braille! It doesn't matter what price bracket the embosser is in,
be it thousands or hundreds of thousands of Pounds.

And even if for some silly reason the embosser was locked in such a silly mode,
what is to stop them sending 2 new page commands after each page. The result
would be what you want.

I'm happy to talk to anyone about this if they wish more information.

George